Our Green Policy
In association with the Green Tourism Business Scheme, sustainability and green issues are now very much mainstream, with governments, businesses and individuals all involved. Tourism, as one of the main economic drivers in the UK, has its part to play. That is where the Green Tourism Business Scheme (GTBS) comes in. We are proud to have been awarded a Silver award in Green Tourism.
The Gonville Hotel in Cambridge recognises that our work may have a direct or indirect effect on the local, regional and global environment. We are committed to reducing any harmful effects on the environment and in working with reputable associations, we aim to understand, follow and implement best environmental practices wherever possible. We encourage our employees, suppliers and guests to be environmentally aware through initiatives such as recycling and trying to be energy efficient.
Our goal is to prevent landfill waste and improve recycling, by reviewing how supplies and equipment are purchased, packaged, delivered, used and disposed of while complying will all applicable environmental legislation.
The Gonville Hotel has a ‘Green Committee’ which is responsible for monitoring, implementing and moving forward with the ongoing action plan to deliver our commitment.
As a guest at The Gonville Hotel we hope that you too will take time to think about the environment during your stay and helps us maintain our commitment to our Green Policy. Guests can help us with some simple measures:
- Turn off lights or electrical items in your bedroom when not in use
- Consider the usage of your towels during your stay
- Allow us to recycle any newspapers that may no longer be required
- Avoid dripping taps
- Adhering to our No Smoking Policy in the Hotel
- Use recycling station located by the lift on the first and second floor.
The Gonville Hotel will endeavour to reduce the amount of waste generated by reusing and recycling.
- Recycling organic kitchen waste
- Recycling all bar glass bottles and broken glass using the glass bin in the car park
- Recycling all waste paper – providing recycling boxes throughout the hotel
- Recycling all cardboard and packaging
- Recycling all printer cartridges
- Operate a ‘Think before you print’ Campaign in all areas of the business
- Recycling all the spent batteries
- Recycling all tins, cans and aluminium
- Recycling all plastics and packaging in designated bins
- Dog waste eco-treatment in place
- Educate and train all members of staff in environmental issues and in good working practices in order to create an energy efficient and environmentally aware working culture
The Gonville Hotel will endeavour to take into account the environmental factors involved in production, use and disposal of the product.
- When purchasing, analyse whether a new product is essential
- Where possible, source food from local suppliers
- Avoid purchasing products with unnecessary packaging
- When possible purchase Fair Trade products in the bedrooms and bar/restaurant
- Using refillable British produce shampoos and toiletries
Energy and Water Saving
The Gonville Hotel will endeavour to consider all resources and aim to reduce energy consumption.
- AC units turn off when windows are opened
- Use energy efficient light bulbs, lower heating temperatures
- More than 75% of the building is double glazed
- Key card controller turn off lights/power in unoccupied rooms
- Make sure all radiators have adjustable controls
- Ensure that all PCs are switched off when not in use
- Follow the guidelines/advice set down by the GTBS and the Carbon Trust
- Public toilets got sensors taps and sensor urinals
The Gonville Hotel will endeavour to reduce the impact of vehicle emissions by encouraging the application of sustainable principles to travelling and arranging meetings.
- Where possible, we will promote public transport, cycling or walking as the preferred form of transport for staff and residents
- Electric vehicle charge points are available for staff and residents
- Maps available at reception - clearly indicated walking and cycling travel time for touristic sight
- Gonville Bikes for hire available for residents
I was in Cambridge for two weeks on business and stayed at the Gonville Hotel. The hotel was lovely with comfortable rooms and offered a great breakfast. The staff was very attentive and helpful as well.
I enjoyed being so close to everything in Cambridge so I could walk to the various activities, shopping and restaurants!
I even ventured out one evening riding a bicycle! The hotels offers these as a courtesy to guests for their use. I highly recommend the Gonville!
TRIP ADVISOR JULY 2017
Lovely hotel which is well located for the centre of Cambridge. Very comfortable with wonderful staff. The complimentary Bentley chauffeur service was an unexpected bonus and my parents had a wonderful Diamond Wedding celebration.
TRIP ADVISOR JULY 2017
We had a lovely stay and we could not fault anything about our stay. The rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast was very good quality. The GH Bentley was a lovely sight on arrival too. We will definitely be back.
TRIP ADVISOR JULY 2017